12 Comments leave one →
  1. 21 Jul, 2012 1:14 am

Yes lack of research. Apart from question of aesthetics, there is no mention of those women, who claim that a very redundant labia minora catches during physical work or intercourse . Is this a valid complaint, would not shaving resolve it?

2. 23 Jul, 2012 11:31 pm

Intersting artice. Seen it before, but this was comprehensive.

3. Jamie permalink
    28 Jul, 2012 5:15 am

What a great little film, so good to hear the voices of different women talking about themselves, very different to many docs I’ve seen on this issue.

I would have liked, though, for the film (or at least the blog) to raise the issue of airbrushing in porn meaning that women’s bodies are often not even being compared to images of real vaginas in the first place. Here in Australia our censorship laws actually prohibit labia being shown in the most popular magazine classification category, so they are photoshopped out – http://www.abc.net.au/tv/hungrybeast/stories/labiaplasty/ Perhaps this was discussed in the panel, though.

4. donna permalink
    15 Oct, 2012 12:52 am

I just watched the film & was thinking i feel just like those women did,i am due to have a labiaplasty on wed 17th october as i discussed with my gp how much the labia affect my like & was referred to gynae, 3 weeks on i will be having the op.I dont expect perfection all i want is pain free sex.

5. 15 Oct, 2012 6:26 am

Some finds vaginal repair as a taboo, however recent studies indicates that such procedure enhances one’s sex life and in return, saves one’s relationship/marriage.

• 16 Oct, 2012 5:27 pm

With all the good faith in the world, your websites encourage women to get cosmetic surgery, and include phrases like “shoring up your saggy boobs.” I’m not sure that my marriage needs to be “saved” with such sex-enhancing tips; I’m pretty sure that I won’t look the same at 34 as I do now at 24, on account of how people age.

While women are doubtlessly troubled by these issues, it’s always worth dropping these truthbombs:

If you are a woman, you are not defined by your vagina.

your vagina is not defined by its virginal tightness.

your partner’s wishlist for your vagina should not include “virginal tightness” or “minimal, shaved labia” or anything else that evokes something vulnerable and underaged, but should be things like “pain-free and well-loved” and “happy to see me.”

your vaginal tightness does not define your relationship or marriage. You and your partner do.

if the only way that your partner can share pleasure with your body is defined by your vaginal tightness, this relationship is not good or healthy for you.

healthy relationships and marriages cannot be “saved” by surgery, glitter, vajazzling or anything else. They are not vulnerable puppies trapped in a building that you can save if you swallow your self-esteem enough.

if, however, a kind of cosmetic surgery will make you feel more comfortable with yourself, happier with your body, and more connected with your sexuality, well then – it’s your body, do what you want with it, and long may you reign in it. To paraphrase Captain Awkward, “Pilot that crazy beautiful machine like you stole it.”

Kegels,
      Elodie

6. 26 Nov, 2012 6:56 pm

Yes some people find everything a taboo. But ignore those people :)

7. 6 Feb, 2013 10:50 pm

If there is money in it, mankind being what it is, many people will jump in to exploit the situation. The professionals are no exception in this game of overselling the benefits of a cosmetic procedure to the gullible and make a fortune for themselves. I am not denying that there are a small number of women who absolutely need the surgery for medical reasons but to me the overwhelming reason many women want a Labiaplasty is based on the fact that many women are dissatisfied with their own body for whatever reason and falsely believe that Money can buy “Perfection”

8. 16 Oct, 2013 5:49 pm

Kudos for “having the balls” to tackle this topic. I wish I were that brave.

Trackbacks

1. Centrefold, an Award-winning Animated Documentary on Labiaplasty | Sexologie Magazine!
  2. Top news and features 2012 « Wellcome Trust Blog
  3. Top of the blog 2012 « Wellcome Trust Blog