6 Comments leave one →
  1. moleculeFRESH permalink
    4 Jan, 2011 10:29 am

I remember reading Mom’s Cancer growing up – I’d completely forgotten about it until I read your article! The book is easy to read and leaves you in complete awe – Fies’ cartoons are so simple, but leave you with complete empathy towards his family.
    I would strongly recommend Mom’s Cancer, and I’m so thankful to see cartoons becoming more commonplace in healthcare. Thank you for doing a round-up all on one page, Mun-Keat.
    – xxxxx –

• 4 Jan, 2011 5:59 pm

My pleasure. I haven’t actually had a chance to read Mom’s Cancer properly yet. It’s sadly out of print so am hoping to source a second hand copy from somewhere.

You might also be interested to know that the 2011 Comics & Medicine conference is scheduled for June and has just made a call for papers:
      http://graphicmedicine.org/#/conference-2011/4546507879

2. Liliana Sosa permalink
    14 Feb, 2011 10:01 pm

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to apply as a participant at the Comics & Medicine: The Sequential Art of Illness Conference 2011, to be held next 11 June in Chicago.

I am an Argentine Doctor specialized in Image Diagnosis in Breast Pathology and as a writer I have published different works on Breast Cancer and Art in several scientific magazines in my country. Some of these works were accomplished with the valuable contribution of the world famous Wellcome Collection library. Besides, I have written plays for children related to the prevention of some illnesses and about the importance of a healthy diet, works which have taken part of international festivals.

At present I am working on a project about comics and graphic novels for patients with recent diagnosis of breast cancer. For this reason, it would be very important for me to attend the Conference you are offering, since I am sure I would learn and improve my knowledge about the topic.

I would then be very grateful if you could send me information about all the specific requirements to be fulfilled, how to enroll for the event and any other data that you may consider interesting for me to know.
    Looking forward to receiving your reply in the near future,
    Yours faithfully,

Dr. Liliana Sosa

• 16 Feb, 2011 10:50 am

Thanks for your interest Liliana.

In terms of the 2011 conference, you’re best contacting the organisers directly. Information and contact details at:

3. Liliana Sosa permalink
    23 Feb, 2011 4:00 pm

Dear Mun-Keat Looi
    Thank you very much. I appreciate your reply.
    Regards, Liliana Sosa

Trackbacks

1. Wellcome Image of the Month: Sad « Wellcome Trust Blog