3 Comments leave one →
  1. 28 Feb, 2014 2:46 pm

Reblogged this on DownHouseSoftware and commented:
    Science in Cinema.

“Kid, I’ve flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I’ve seen a lot of strange stuff, but I’ve never seen *anything* to make me believe that there’s one all-powerful Force controlling everything.” – Han Solo, skeptic

How important is scientific accuracy in film?
    How much is enough?
    What matters? And what doesn’t?

Meroe Candy of the Wellcome Trust discusses the role of scientific accuracy in film…

2. Mike Van permalink
    1 Mar, 2014 1:43 pm

Scientific accuracy matters to the extent that the movie director feels it needs to, in order to have a story meet the audience’s “suspension of disbelief”. I have lived science for 31 years and personally find it refreshing to have a good yarn told that maybe doesn’t meet rigorous scientific scrutiny but piques my imagination and my enthusiasm. I find the notion of scientific responsibility in movies stupidly and amusingly absurd. Should children’s stories be assessed by a scientific advisory board now? or cartoons? So much for Superman. Do movies need to pass before an ethics committee to avoid misleading audiences. Doubt it. I think there are cases where it can be irritating for a scientist to witness an idiotic portrayal of science and scientists, but it happens in the movies all the time. A recent example: in Prometheus, the lead character almost loses her life acquiring the severed head of an alien, yet within minutes of getting it into the ship, it is unceremoniously blown up!! Lots of very dumb science gaffes in that movie. But the movie, as always with Ridley Scott’s movies, held together, was exciting and leads to the next evolutionary chapter in a fantastical story anyway. Much ado about nothing. This issue is a tempest in teacup.

3. 3 Mar, 2014 11:54 am

I try to follow the principle that it’s okay to exaggerate and compress, but never knowingly falsify. However fascinating the science, its processes are often undramatic and if you fail at the drama, you’ve failed at everything.